GIANNI L. FAEDDA, M.D.
245 East 50 Street, Suite 2A
New York, NY 10022
W (212) 644-3111
1992 – Present Director, “Lucio Bini” Mood Disorder Center, Private Specialty Clinic for Children, Adolescents and Adults, New York, NY
2011 – Present Clinical Instructor, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, NYU School of Medicine and Child Study Center, New York, NY
STAFF APPOINTMENTS: PAST
1995 – 2001 Associate Director, Forest Hills Psychiatric Center and
1995 – 2000 Attending Psychiatrist, New York Hospital- Medical Center of Queens, Flushing Hospital and Jamaica Hospital
1996 – 2000 Attending Psychiatrist, Gracie Square Hospital
1992 – 1995 Attending Psychiatrist, Bronx Children’s Psychiatric Center
1979 – 1985 MD, University of Cagliari School of Medicine, Cagliari, Italy
ACADEMIC APPOINTMENTS, RESIDENCIES AND FELLOWSHIPS
2011 – Present Clinical Instructor, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, NYU-Langone Medical Center and Child Study Center, New York, NY
1999 – Present Research Associate, Developmental Biopsychiatry Research
Program, Harvard Medical School, McLean Hospital Belmont, MA
1992 – 1995 Instructor in Psychiatry and Director of Research, Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York.
1991 – 1992 Fellowship in Psychopharmacology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York, NY
1988 – 1991 Resident in Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, McLean Hospital Belmont, MA
1988-1989 Internship McLean, Mt. Auburn, and Massachusetts General Hospital
1987-1991 Research Fellow, Neuropharmacology, Mailman Research Center,
McLean Hospital, Harvard Medical School
1985 – 1987 Residency in Psychiatry, University of Cagliari School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, Cagliari, Italy
Elective inpatient psychiatry, Clinica Belvedere Montello, Roma
Elective outpatient psychiatry, Centro Lucio Bini, Roma
AWARDS & GRANTS
1985 Special Mention Award for Exemplary Performance and
Curriculum, University of Cagliari School of Medicine
1986 – 1989 Research Fellowship in Psychopharmacology,
Regione Autonoma della Sardegna
1989 Wyeth-Ayerst First Prize Award for “New Research”
VIII World Congress of Psychiatry, Athens
1989 Research Fellowship in Neuropharmacology,
Regione Autonoma della Sardegna
1991 APA/Dista Products Resident Research Award 1990-91
American Psychiatric Association
1992 APA/Dista Products Resident Research Award 1991-92
American Psychiatric Association
1993 PI, Stanley Foundation, 2 Year Research Grant on “Double-Blind
Placebo-controlled Trial of Lithium in Adolescents with Bipolar Disorder.”
2009 Co-PI NIMH Challenge Grant (RC1MH089743-01) “Neuroimaging
and Behavioral Biomarkers for ADHD in Children”
2003 – 2014 Lecturer, International Review of Bipolar Disorder (IRBD), CME course for Psychiatrists
2003 – 2010 Lecturer, School of Excellence on Bipolar Disorder, CME course for Psychiatrists
1994 – 2005 Supervision in Clinical Psychiatry and Research methodology of undergraduate and graduate students (Ferkauf School of Psychology, Columbia University’s Teachers’ College)
1993 – 1994 Course Instructor, NIMH-sponsored, Depression Awareness Program; Lectures on Electroconvulsive Treatment and Phototherapy, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, MMC
1992 – 1995 Supervision in Psychopharmacology, PGY-1-4 Adult Psychiatry Residents & Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Fellows
Albert Einstein College of Medicine, MMC
1991 – 1995 Psychopharmacology Seminar Series Lectures on Mood Disorders, Schizophrenia and Psychoses, PGY-3 & 4, Adult Psychiatry
Albert Einstein College of Medicine, MMC
1991 – 1992 Supervision in Psychopharmacology 3rd Year Adult Psychiatry
Residents Albert Einstein College of Medicine, MMC
1991 – 1995 Course on Epidemiology, Diagnosis, Course and Treatment of Mood Disorders 1st and 2nd Year Adult
Albert Einstein College of Medicine, MMC
1990 – 1991 Teaching of Psychopathology and Clinical Psychopharmacology,
Clinical supervision of HMS students, Mc Lean Hospital
1988 – 1991 Supervision of medical students, psychology and social work interns during inpatient and ER rotations; McLean, Mt. Auburn, Brigham-Women and Massachusetts General Hospitals
1985 – 1995 MD, Italy and European Community
1988 – 1995 MD, Commonwealth of Massachusetts
1988- Present Drug Enforcement Administration, Registration #BF1591735
1992 – Present State on New York, Unrestricted Medical License # 195412
1993 Adult Psychiatry, American Boards of Neurology and Psychiatry
PROFESSIONAL SOCIETY MEMBERSHIPS:
1988 – Present American Psychiatric Association
2000 – Present International Society for Bipolar Disorders (Lifetime)
2011- Present American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
PROFESSIONAL JOURNALS PEER REVIEW
Aspects of Affect Editorial Board
BMC-Psychiatry Editorial Board
Bipolar Disorders Reviewer
Biological Psychiatry Reviewer
CNS Spectrum Reviewer
Journal of Affective Disorders Reviewer
Applied Clinical Informatics Reviewer
NIMH – PEER REVIEW COMMITTEES
Primary Reviewer, NIMH Pediatric Mental Health Program Grants
Co-Chair, Task Force Panel on: Prodromes of Bipolar Disorders, International Society of Bipolar Disorders, 2011-2014.
Member, Grants Oversight Committee, American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 2011- Current.
1. Faedda GL, Kula N, Baldessarini RJ. Pharmacology of binding of 3H-SCH-23390 to dopamine D-1 receptors sites in rat forebrain. Biochem Pharmacology, 1989; 38:473-480.
2. Gelbard HA, Teicher MH, Faedda GL, Baldessarini RJ. Postnatal development of dopamine D1 and D2 receptors sites in rat striatum. Dev Brain Research, 1989; 49:123-130.
3. Gelbard HA, Teicher MH, Baldessarini RJ, Gallitano A, Marsh ER, Zorc J, Faedda GL.
Dopamine D1 receptor development depends on endogenous dopamine. Dev Brain Research, 1990; 56:137-140.
4. Gelbard HA, Teicher MH, Baldessarini RJ, Gallitano A, Marsh Er, Zorc J, Faedda GL.
Dopamine D1 receptor development depends on endogenous dopamine. In: Stefanis CN, Soldatos CR, Rabavilas AD (eds.): Psychiatry: A World Perspective. Elsevier Publishing Co., Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1990; Vol 2:651-658.
5. Faedda GL, Baldessarini RJ, Tohen M, Strakowski SM, Waternaux C. Episode Sequence in Bipolar Disorder and Response to Lithium Treatment. Am J Psychiatry, 1991; 148:1237-1239.
6. Suppes T, Baldessarini RJ, Faedda GL, Tohen M. Risk of Recurrence Following Discontinuation of Lithium Treatment in Bipolar Disorder. Arch Gen Psychiatry, 1991; 48:1082-1088.
7. Koukopoulos A, Faedda GL, Proietti R, D’Amico S, De Pisa E, Simionetto C.
Un Syndrome depressif Mixte. L’Encephale, 1992; 18-1:19-21.
8. Strakowski SM, Faedda GL, Tohen M, Goodwin DC, Stoll AL. Possible affective-state dependence of the Tridimensional Personality Questionaire in first-episode psychosis.
Psychiatry Research, 1992; 41:215-226.
9. Strakowski SM, Tohen M, Stoll AL, Faedda GL, Goodwin DC. Comorbidity in Mania at First Hospitalization. Am J Psychiatry, 1992; 554-556.
10. Tohen M, Stoll AL, Strakowski SM, Faedda GL, Mayer PV, Goodwin DC, Baldessarini RJ. The McLean First-episode Psychosis Project. Schizophrenia Bulletin, 1992; 18:273-282.
11. McElroy SL, Keck PE, Pope HG, Hudson JI, Faedda GL, Swann AC. Dysphoric or Mixed Mania: Clinical and Research Implications. Am J Psychiatry, 1992; 149:1633-1644.
12. McElroy SL, Keck PE, Pope HG, Hudson JI, Faedda GL, Swann AC. Dysphoric or Mixed Mania: Reply. Am J Psychiatry, 1993; 150:1908–1909.
13. Faedda GL, Tondo L, Teicher MH, Baldessarini RJ, Gelbard HA, Floris G. Seasonal Mood Disorders: Patterns of Seasonal Recurrence in Mania and Depression. Arch Gen Psychiatry, 1993; 50:17–23.
14. Faedda GL, Tondo L, Baldessarini RJ, Suppes T, Tohen M. Outcome after Rapid vs. Gradual Discontinuation of Lithium Treatment in Bipolar Disorders. Arch Gen Psychiatry, 1993; 50:448–455.
15. Strakowski SM, Tohen M, Stoll AL, Faedda GL, Mayer PV, Kolbrener ML, Goodwin DC. Comorbidity in First-episode Psychosis. Am J Psychiatry, 1993, 150:752–757.
16. Suppes T, Baldessarini RJ, Faedda GL, Tondo L, Tohen M. Discontinuing maintenance treatment in Bipolar manic-depressive disorders: Risks and Implications. The Harvard Review of Psychiatry, 1993; 1:131-144.
17. Strakowski SM, Stoll AL, Tohen M, Faedda GL, Goodwin DC. The Tridimensional Personality Questionaire as a predictor of 6 month outcome in first-episode mania. Psychiatry Research, 1993; 48:1–8.
18. Grosz DE, Lipschitz DS, Eldar S, Finkelstein G, Blackwood N, Faedda GL, Plutchik R. Correlates of violence risk in hospitalized adolescents. Comprehensive Psychiatry, 1994; 35:296-300.
19. Suppes T, Yurgelun-Todd DA, Tohen M, Faedda GL, Kolbrenner M, Weiss M, Strakowski S, Mayer P, Stoll A. Mixed bipolar states at first hospitalization. Biol Psychiatry, 1994; 35:625.
20. Baldessarini RJ, Viguera AC, Faedda GL, Garver DL, Suppes T, Tondo L, van Kammen D, Wyatt RJ, Gardner DM. Neuroleptic withdrawal in schizophrenic patients. Arch Gen Psychiatry, 1995; 52:189–192.
21. Baldessarini RJ, Suppes T, Tondo L, Faedda GL, Viguera A, Tohen M. Risks of interrupting maintenance therapy with psychotropic medications. Dir Psychiatry, 1995; 15:2–7.
22. Faedda GL, Baldessarini RJ, Suppes T, Tondo L, Becker I, Lipschitz DS. Pediatric-onset bipolar disorder: a neglected clinical and public health problem. Harvard Rev Psychiatry, 1995; 3:171–195.
23. Papolos DF, Faedda GL, Veit S, Shprinzen R, Goldberg G, Marrow B, Kucherlapati R. Bipolar Affective Disorder in patients diagnosed with velo-cardio-facial syndrome. Soc Neurosci Abst, 1995.
24. Lipschitz DS, Kaplan ML, Sorkenn JB, Faedda GL, Chorney P, Asnis GM.
Prevalence and characteristics of physical and sexual abuse among psychiatric outpatients.
Psychiatric Services, 1996; 47:189–191.
25. Papolos DF, Faedda GL, Veit S, Shprinzen R, Goldberg G, Marrow B, Kucherlapati R.
Bipolar affective disorder in patients diagnosed with velo-cardio-facial syndrome. Am J Psychiatry, 1996; 153:1541–1547.
26. Baldessarini RJ, Tondo L, Faedda GL, Suppes T, Floris G, Rudas N. Effects of the rate of discontinuing lithium maintenance treatment in bipolar disorders. J Clin Psychiatry, 1996; 57:441–448.
27. Lachman HM, Veit S, Faedda GL, Kucherlapati R, Morrow B, Goldberg R, Parsia S, Papolos DF. Role of codon 108/158 Catechol-O-methyltransferase polymorphism in the psychiatric manifestations of velo-cardio-facial syndrome. Am J Medical Genetics, 1996; 67:468–472.
28. Morrow, B.; Carlson, C. G.; Goldberg, R.; et al. Psychiatric illness in children and adults with velo-cardio-facial syndrome with/without 22q11 deletions. Am J Human Genetics, 1996; 59S4:A20.
29. Carlson C, Papolos DF, Pandita RK, Faedda GL, Veit S, Goldberg R, Shprintzen R, Kucherlapati R, Morrow B. Molecular analysis of velo-cardio-facial syndrome patients with psychiatric disorders. Am J Hum Genet, 1997; 60:851–859.
30. Phillips KA, Gunderson JG, Triebwasser J, Kimble CR, Faedda GL, Lyoo IK, Renn J.
Reliability and validity of depressive personality disorder. Am J Psychiatry, 1998; 155:1044-1048.
31. Papolos DF, Veit S, Faedda GL, Saito T, Lachman HM. Ultra-ultra rapid cycling bipolar disorder is associated with the low activity catecholamine-O-methyltransferase. Molecular Psychiatry, 1998; 3:346–349.
32. Tohen M, Hennen J, Zarate CM Jr, Baldessarini RJ, Strakowski SM, Stoll AL, Faedda GL, Suppes T, Gebre-Medhin P, Cohen BM. Two-year syndromal and functional recovery in 219 cases of first-episode major affective disorder with psychotic features. Am J Psychiatry, 2000; 157:220–228.
33. Tohen M, Strakowski SM, Zarate C Jr, Hennen J, Stoll AL, Suppes T, Faedda GL, Cohen BM, Gebre-Medhin P, Baldessarini RJ. The McLean-Harvard first-episode project: 6-month symptomatic and functional outcome in affective and nonaffective psychosis. Biol Psychiatry, 2000; 48:467–76.
34. Faedda GL, Tondo L, Baldessarini RJ. Lithium Discontinuation: Uncovering Latent Bipolar Disorder? Am J Psychiatry, 2001; 158:1337–1338.
35. Faedda GL, Glovinsky IP, Austin NB, Aristitzabal N, Baldessarini RJ. Phenomenology and course of pediatric bipolar disorder (Abstract 60). Bipolar Disord, 2003; 5 (Suppl. 1):46.
36. Faedda GL, Baldessarini RJ, Glovinsky IP, Austin NB. Pediatric Bipolar Disorder: Phenomenology and Course of Illness. Bipolar Disorders, 2004; 6:305-313.
37. Faedda GL, Baldessarini RJ, Glovinsky IP, Austin NB. Treatment-emergent mania in pediatric bipolar disorder: a retrospective case review. J Affect Disorders, 2004; 82:149-158.
38. Faedda GL. Childhood Onset Bipolar Disorder: Pharmacological Treatment Overview. The Journal of Developmental and Learning Disorders, 2004; 8:37–64.
39. Faedda GL. Bipolar Disorder Is Common in Children. The Journal of Bipolar Disorders, 2004; 3:3-14.
40. Baldessarini RJ, Faedda GL and Hennen J. Risk of mania with antidepressants. Arch Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, 2005; 159:298; author reply 298-9.
41. Baldessarini RJ, Pompili M, Tondo L, Tsapakis E, Soldani F, Faedda GL, Hennen J. Commentary- Antidepressants and suicidal behavior: Are we hurting or helping? Clinical Neuropsychiatry, 2005; 2: 73-75.
42. Faedda GL, Teicher MH. Objective measures of activity and attention in the differential diagnosis of childhood psychiatric disorders. Directions in Psychiatry, 2006; 26(2), 105-116.
43. Faedda GL. Iatrogenic mania in pediatric bipolar disorder. Aspect of Affect, 2006/7; 2:239–246.
44. Faedda GL; Baroni A, Becker I; Tondo L, Aspland E; Koukopoulos A. The Origins of Electroconvulsive Therapy: Prof. Lucio Bini’s First Report on ECT. J Affect Disorder, 2010; 112:12-15.
45. Faedda GL, McGreenery CE, Teicher MH, Baroni A, Grant MC, Hernandez M, Aspland E, Polcari A. Rest-Activity Disturbances Discriminate Children with Bipolar Disorder from Typically Developing Controls and Children with ADHD. Poster presented at the Am Acad Child Adol Psychiatry Meeting, NY, NY, 2010.
46. Hernandez M, Grant MC, Nitzburg G, Baroni A, Estrado JC, Faedda GL. Parental Reports of Early Psychopathology in Children and Adolescents with Bipolar Disorder. Poster presented at the 164 Am Psychiatry Association Meeting, Honolulu HI, 2011.
47. Baldessarini RJ, Tondo L, Vázquez GH, Undurraga J, Bolzani L, Yildiz A, Khalsa H-MK, Lai M, Lepri B, Lolich M, Faedda GL, Salvatore P, Maffei PM, Vieta E, Tohen M. Onset-age versus family history and clinical outcomes in 1665 international bipolar-I disorder patients. World Psychiatry, 2012; 11:40-46.
48. Baroni A, Hernandez M, Grant MC, Faedda GL. Sleep disturbances in pediatric bipolar disorder: A comparison between Bipolar I and Bipolar NOS. Frontiers in Child and Neurodevelopmental Psychiatry, March 2012, doi: 10.3389/fpsyt.2012.00022.
49. Papolos DF, Teicher MH, Faedda GL, Murphy P. Clinical Experience using Intranasal Ketamine in the Treatment of Pediatric Bipolar Disorder / Fear of Harm Phenotype. J Affect Disorder, 2013; 147:431–436.
50. Baldessarini RJ, Faedda GL, Offidani E, Vázquez GH, Marangoni C, Serra G, Tondo L. Antidepressant-Associated Mood-Switching and Transition from Unipolar Major Depression to Bipolar Disorder: a Review. J Affect Disorder, 2013; 148:129–135.
51. Pérez J, Faedda GL, Baldessarini RJ. Electricity Rendered Useful for Mental Illness: Tribute to Richard Lovett (1692–1780). British J of Psychiatry, 2013; 203:241.
52. Reginaldi D, Koukopoulos A, Baldessarini RJ, Faedda GL, Fazzari G, Girardi P, Kotzadilis G, Manfredi G, Minnai GP, Raja M, Sani G, Serra G, Tondo L. Athanasios Koukopoulos. International Journal of Bipolar Disorder, 2013; 1:17.
53. Salvatore P, Tohen M, Khalsa HK, Vázquez GH, Perez J, Faedda GL, Maggini C, Baldessarini RJ. McLean-Harvard First Psychotic Episode Study: Antecedents in 263 Bipolar-I Disorder Patients. Acta Psych Scand, 2014; 129:275–285.
54. Teicher MH, Faedda GL, Baroni A, McGreenery CE, Hernandez M, Grant MC, Polcari A. Actigraphy rest-activity disturbances discriminate pediatric Bipolar Disorder from attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and typically-developing controls. Biol Psychiatry, 2013; 73:1S, 312.
55. Faedda GL, Serra G, Marangoni C, Salvatore P, Sani G, Vázquez G, Tondo L, Girardi P, Baldessarini RJ, Koukopoulos A. Clinical Risk Factors for Bipolar Disorders: A Review of Prospective Studies. J Affect Disorder, 2014; 168:314–321.
56. Faedda GL, Marangoni C, Serra G, Salvatore P, Sani G, Vázquez G, Tondo L, Girardi P, Baldessarini RJ, Koukopoulos A. Precursors as Clinical Predictors of Bipolar Disorders: A Review of Prospective Studies. In Press, J Clinical Psychiatry, July 2014.
57. Serra G, Koukopoulos A, De Chiara L, Napoletano F, Koukopoulos AE, Curto M, Manfredi G, Faedda GL, Girardi P, Baldessarini RJ, Features Preceding Diagnosis of Bipolar versus Major Depressive Disorders. In Press: Journal of Affective Disorder.
58. Faedda GL, Marangoni C, Reginaldi D. Depressive mixed states: a reappraisal of Koukopoulos’criteria. In Press: Journal of Affective Disorder.
59. Faedda GL, Wachtel L, Higgins A, Shprinzen R. Catatonia in an Adolescent with Velo-Cardio-Facial Syndrome. In Press: American Journal of Medical Genetics: Part A.
60. Serra G, Koukopoulos A, De Chiara L, Napoletano F, Koukopoulos AE, Faedda GL, Girardi P, Baldessarini RJ. Child and adolescent clinical features preceding suicide attempts. In Press: Journal of Affective Disorder.
61. Faedda GL, Baroni A, Hernandez M, McGreenery CE, Grant MC, Polcari A, Okashi K, Teicher MH. Actigraph Measures Discriminate Pediatric Bipolar Disorder from Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and Normally-Developing Controls. Submitted to Am J Psychiatry, October 2014.
62. Marangoni C, Hernandez M, Faedda GL. Environmental Exposure Risk Factors for Bipolar Disorder: a Systematic Literature Review. Submitted to: J Clinical Psychiatry, December 2014.
63. Marangoni C, Nanni MG, Grassi L, Faedda GL. Bipolar disorder preceding the onset of Multiple Sclerosis: a review. In Press: Neuroimmunology and Neuroinflammation, January 2015.
64. Serra G, De Chiara L, Marangoni C, Faedda GL. The role of neuroinflammation in mood disorders in children and adolescents. In Press: Neuroimmunology and Neuroinflammation, January 2015.
Keck PE, McElroy SL, Thienhaus OJ, Faedda GL. Antiepileptic Drugs in the treatment of Withdrawal and Detoxification States. In: Modigh K, Robek O, Vestergaard T (Eds.): Anticonvulsants in Psychiatry. Wrightson Biomedical Publishing Ltd., Petersfield, UK, 1993.
Baldessarini RJ, Tondo L, Suppes T, Faedda GL, Tohen M. Pharmacological treatment of bipolar disorder througout the life cycle. In: Shulman, Tohen and Kutcher (Eds) Mood Disorders Across the Life. Chpt 15, 229-338. Wiley-Liss, Inc, New York, NY. 1996.
Baldessarini RJ, Tondo L, Faedda GL, Viguera AC, Baethge C, Bratti IM, Hennen, J: Latency, discontinuation, and re-use of lithium treatment. Chpt. 38 In: Lithium in Neuropsychiatry: The Comprehensive Guide. Bauer M, Grof P and Müller-Oerlingausen B (eds.), in Collaboration with: The International Group for the Study of Lithium-Treated Patients (IGSLI). Taylor & Francis Books, Ltd. 2006.
Faedda GL, Austin, NB. Parenting your Bipolar Child: What to do and why. New Harbinger Publications, Oakland CA, 2006